Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Overview of membership benefits
What is AONT?
The Association of Ophthalmic Nurses and Technicians (AONT) is an independent, apolitical, professional network of ophthalmic nurses, nursing associates, and technicians practicing in the United Kingdom and Ireland. AONT supports and enhances ophthalmic care through the provision of education, resources, evidence and guidance for new roles, workforce, and service models. We support our members into training, guide them throughout their careers, and offer peer-to-peer mentoring around their personal and professional development.
Our members come from diverse backgrounds, and we champion diversity in the workforce.
We also support members that have additional needs in the workplace.
NB. Technician is an umbrella term we use to describe all non-registered support staff.
Who can join AONT?
The information, training and support offered to AONT members is tailored to Ophthalmic Nurses and Technicians. However, any health professional with an interest in eye health can join AONT.
How much does membership cost?
£20 per annum (Membership is free for students on the University of Plymouth MSc Advanced Clinical Practice in Ophthalmology).
What do I get for my membership?
Members receive the following benefits from AONT:
- Electronic membership card and unique ID number
- Networking opportunities for members on a range of topics
- Invited to attend free online and face-to-face AONT hosted educational events
- Access to our comprehensive calendar online calendar of CPD and training opportunities
- Exclusive members access to an online library of recordings of previous educational events
- Members area on AONT website hosting clinical templates and sample job specifications
- Library of evidence and list of relevant papers, published by theme
- Access to the AONT buddying scheme for insights, reflection and support
- Member support including access and equality issues
How do I pay for my annual fees?
We prefer members to set-up an annual Direct Debit or Standing Order.
For people wishing to pay yearly, we will send an annual email reminder.
For bank details please email: AONTMembership@outlook.com
Your membership is renewed on 1st September each year.